Baltimore, July 02, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — America’s youngsters and their households proceed to face many challenges this summer time amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. That’s why the National Summer Learning Association (NSLA) is utilizing their annual consciousness and advocacy celebration, Nationwide Summer time Studying Week (July 6 – 11), to focus on how summer time studying and enrichment alternatives are important to the nation’s restoration and ongoing training reform efforts.
As college districts throughout the nation put together for the autumn and the return of scholars, many summer time packages proper now are adapting in new, digital, and inventive methods to make sure youngsters and their households can entry high quality summer time studying alternatives and important help companies to mitigate unfinished studying and to deal with the rising meals insecurities dealing with tens of millions of scholars.
Current research published by NWEA predicts important studying loss from COVID-19 college closures, particularly in math, with projections indicating college students could return within the fall with about 70% of the educational features in studying, lower than 50% of the educational features in math, and in some grades, practically a full 12 months behind, as in contrast with a traditional college 12 months. With out essential interventions, this COVID-19-related studying loss mixed with the standard summer time slide could have a ripple impact for years to come back.
“Because the COVID-19 pandemic continues, the economic system struggles, and the racial justice motion grows, the inequities skilled by America’s youngsters in communities of coloration and different weak communities proceed to multiply,” stated Aaron Philip Dworkin, CEO of NSLA. “The summer time months matter and would require communities to be hyper-collaborative and hyper-creative to find options to in assist our most weak college students heal, entry important well being and diet companies, and compensate for unfinished studying so all youngsters can succeed within the college 12 months forward.”
Every day of NSLA’s National Summer Learning Week focuses on a distinct summer time subject, from literacy, STEM (science, expertise, engineering and arithmetic) and the humanities, to the significance of diet and wellness and packages that introduce younger individuals to profession potentialities and civic engagement.
Nationwide Summer time Studying Week additionally offers alternatives for folks, caregivers, and neighborhood members to take motion to guard funding for summer time and afterschool studying packages. A survey carried out in early June 2020 by the Nationwide League of Cities (NLC) of greater than 1,100 cities, cities and villages from all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico discovered that two-thirds of cities report that they’re making cuts to summer-specific programming, together with summer time youth employment packages, summer time camps, municipal swimming pools, and festivals and occasions.
This factors to the pressing want for folks, educators, advocates, enterprise leaders and policymakers to every to take a stand to avoid wasting and develop summer time studying alternatives in communities throughout the nation. Particularly, policymakers should implement laws that improves the accessibility and availability of summer time packages, addresses the unmet demand that households have for high quality summer time experiences and summer time childcare and improves entry to essential summer time diet packages as meals insecurity wants rise.
“Whereas summer time could look completely different this 12 months, the necessity for high-quality summer time studying alternatives is extra essential than ever,” stated Aaron Philip Dworkin, CEO of NSLA. “In a time when hope and optimism can typically really feel out of attain, it’s inspiring to see the artistic methods educators and advocates are discovering methods to assist meet the tutorial and social wants of our nation’s youngsters and households, particularly in our most weak communities.”
Nationwide Summer time Studying Week highlights (see full schedule):
- Quite a few significant participation alternatives, just like the #SummerMatters social media challenge the place households can share reminiscences, pictures or different moments capturing the enjoyment of summer time studying and enjoyable.
- Sources to assist dad and mom navigate summer time just like the Summer Stride Tip Sheet and NSLA founder Dr. Matthew Boulay’s new e-book: When Colleges Are Closed: Tricks to Assist Mother and father Uncover the Energy of Summer time Studying within the Period of Covid-19 – accessible totally free on Amazon from July 6-11.
- Applegate®, the nation’s main pure and natural meat model, joins because the official sponsor of the Eat Wholesome and Develop Robust theme day and host on July 9 at 3pm ET, a virtual cooking event that includes Applegate chef and meals stylist, Kate Winslow – writer of Onions Etcetera: The Important Allium Cookbook and former editor at Connoisseur journal.
- Khan Academy’s dwell virtual demo of Pixar in a Field and Camp Khan, that includes a presentation by Khan Academy’s Pamela Fox on their free digital summer time camp that and methods college students can discover enjoyable studying experiences like Pixar in a Field designed to spark curiosity and creativity this summer time.
- Dax-Devlon Ross, an award-winning investigative journalist who covers social and prison justice, will reasonable a dialogue on July 10, 3pm ET on nonprofit management and the way we will we expect collectively about transferring communities ahead on this second of COVID-19 and the Black Lives Matter motion.
- Launch of a summer time public service marketing campaign that includes nationwide digital billboards donated by Clear Channel Out of doors and radio PSA’s by iHeartRadio
Nationwide Summer time Studying Week provides dad and mom, youngsters and program suppliers free summer time studying instruments and tutorial readiness checks. For extra data on Nationwide Summer time Studying Week and alternatives to take part, go to www.summerlearning.org/summer-learning-week.
Nationwide Summer time Studying Week is supported partly by the next company, media and program companions: Afterschool Alliance, Applegate®, Pure and Natural Meats, Affiliation for Library Service to Kids, Clear Channel Out of doors Americas, Meals Analysis & Motion Heart, Khan Academy, Studying Heroes, Charles Stuart Mott Basis, Nationwide Heart for Afterschool and Summer time Enrichment, New York Life Basis, Scholastic, No Child Hungry, and The Wallace Basis.
Concerning the Nationwide Summer time Studying Affiliation
The Nationwide Summer time Studying Affiliation (NSLA) is the one nationwide nonprofit completely targeted on closing the achievement and alternative gaps by growing entry to high-quality summer time studying alternatives. NSLA acknowledges and disseminates what works in summer time studying, develops and delivers neighborhood capacity-building choices and convenes and empowers key actors to embrace summer time studying as an answer for fairness and excellence in training. For extra data, go to summerlearning.org.
Laura Johnson NSLA 410-300-6468 firstname.lastname@example.org Irene Serrano Vanguard Communications 202-248-5491 email@example.com